Welcome to the Detroit Towers – 8162 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit

Probably one of the most elegant and sought after residential buildings in the community is the Detroit Towers.

Constructed in 1925, the distinctive eighteen-story red brick and cast stone tower, overlooks the Detroit River – offering some of the best views in the city.

Built in the Roaring Twenties for luxurious living (at an estimated cost of $1.6 million – around $22m today) the 18-story building contains thirty-four large units, two per floor. Each unit contains 9 rooms including servant’s quarters, and is around 2,400-2,800 sq ft.

Chicago architect Walter W. Aschlager designed the structure. He had a stellar reputation, and was nationally known for his design of hotels, skyscrapers and motion picture palaces. Having established an office in Detroit at the beginning of the 1920’s Aschlager was arguably at the peak of his career when he designed the residence.

Given its prominence and luxurious apartments the new Tower on the river attracted many prominent and wealthy figures from the community, including –

  • Benjamin Gotfredson (Unit 5-B) – president of American Automobile Trimming Company of Detroit. He lived in the Towers for five years from 1925 until 1930.
  • Charles E. Sorensen (Unit 6-A) – vice president and general manager of the Ford Motor Car Company. He lived in the Towers from 1926 until 1945.
  • James Scripps Booth (Unit 15-A) – is the eldest son of George Gough Booth, the director and president of the Detroit News. In 1913, working alongside his uncle William E. Scripps, together they formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, which subsequently became a division of Chevrolet in 1916. Booth continued to design automobiles until the mid 1930s, also serving as a trustee for the Cranbrook Foundation and the Detroit Institute of Arts.
  • Howard Crane (Unit 12-B) – a prominent architect throughout Metro Detroit, Crane is arguably the nation’s most accomplished theater designer; he designed over 50 in Detroit alone. He lived in the Towers from 1925 until 1934.

The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Very little has changed since its construction, and the Towers remain an extremely desirable address.

Unit 6-B is now for sale – the next owner of this superb apartment will have the opportunity to live in one of the most sought after residences in the City of Detroit. Please click here for full details, or to schedule a tour please call Higbie Maxon Agney: 313 886 3400

Welcome to 355 Lincoln, Grosse Pointe City.

Probably one of Grosse Pointes most beautiful homes, 355 Lincoln has a storied history and is looking for a hero to return it to its former glory.

-

The 8,733 sq ft English manor was built in 1913 and it is one of Grosse Pointe City’s largest and oldest homes. This is a rare gem with sunning woodwork, decorative carved limestone, plaster and multiple grand fireplaces. The house has many graceful rooms and features include a superb library with an 18’ barrel shaped ceiling with a choir loft leading to a balcony, and a ballroom sized living room.

-

The garden was one of the first in Michigan to be designed by nationally renowned landscape architect Ellen Shipman. Originally from New York Shipman was also responsible for the wonderful gardens at Rose Terrace, 99 Lothrop, and Lake Terrace.

Despite needing significant restoration and renovation, the next owner of 355 Lincoln will have the opportunity to save what is arguably one of the most beautiful and unique homes in the Grosse Pointe’s.

Please click here to view the complete range of photo’s of this extraordinary home.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

 

Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Welcome to Bishop Road – Pure Style – Part 1.

The first block of Bishop Road (between Jefferson and Maumee) reads like a who’s who of prominent families and architects from the 1920’s. This block has such prominence this will be a two part series.

Built for high-flying executives looking to relocate their families to Grosse Pointe, the requirement(s) for grand homes close to Lake St. Clair began to attract many noted architects. While some of these architects were Detroit based, others came from further afield and were of national prominence. They may not have designed many homes in Grosse Pointe, but what they did contribute is a rare and treasured find.

Bishop Road was originally created from the division of two early ribbon farms. The even numbered homes were part of the Simon Poupard Farm that also includes Yorkshire Road, while the odd numbered homes were located on land that was part of the Joeseph Socier Farm.

According to the Grosse Pointe historical Society, it is believed the name of the road comes from the location of a summer home (on Bishop) for the Roman Catholic bishop for the Archdiocese of Detroit, Casper Henry Borgess. It is also noted in research by Bruce L. Sanders that during the Second World War, residents on the first couple of blocks on Bishop would use the vacant lot of 1030 Bishop as a “victory garden”.

Development

Prior to the depression Grosse Pointe prospered. Detroit was one of the most affluent cities in North America and with it came some very wealthy families.

Bishop along with several other roads in Grosse Pointe Park – Yorkshire and Kensington – to name but a few, were undergoing a dramatic transformation. The late 1910’s and the 1920’s were bringing affluence, prominent families, noted architects and the construction of many large homes to the area, with several featuring in a magazine of this period ‘Michigan Architect and Engineer’.

1015 old

1015 Bishop – courtesy of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society

Read more

Welcome to 591 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Shores

Probably one of Grosse Pointes (if not Metro Detroit’s) most individual homes 591 Lakeshore is a remarkable house. If you look at the property from the outside, you only see a tiny bit of the story. For behind the copper outlined windows, which have helped earn the house it’s nickname of the ‘Darth Vader Home’, is an extraordinary contemporary interior.

Grosse Pointe is filled with some of the most beautiful Colonial Revival, Tudor and Georgian homes in the United States. Most Grosse Pointers would not suspect that inside 591 Lakeshore is one of the most beautiful and sumptuous interiors in the Pointes. The 8,539 sqft house is perfect for entertaining at any level, from an intimate gathering to a grand event.

Built in 1978 the house has magnificent views of Lake St. Clair and the slideshow below offers a glimpse of what 591 Lakeshore is all about.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Please click here to view the full listing and over 90 photo’s of this extraordinary home.

HMA’s Featured Listing of the Week!

360 Carver, Grosse Pointe Farms

Wonderful private location just steps from the GP Farms Pier Park.  Living areas view professionally designed gardens and landscape.  A deep 2 tiered yard has Belgian block terrace.  Additional paver patio surrounded by a brick wall off kitchen.  Charming screened entry porch with storms. All windows and doorwalls replaced.  2 large bedrooms with 2 full baths on second floor.  Jacuzzi tub in master bath.  Security system.  CAC. Invisible fence. 1st floor Laundry. Home Warranty Included. This 2,154 sq. ft. home is listed for $324,900.

For more details please visit:  http://ow.ly/BWkdQ

HMA Featured Listing For the Week!

1169 Bedford, Grosse Pointe Park

This distinctive 1920’s Tudor offers charm & character throughout! Gorgeous leaded glass windows, hardwood floors & Pewabic tile make the home special. This 4 bedroom, 3 bath home features a Master suite and a spacious third floor that includes a large open room, den & living quarters. Perfect for entertaining inside or out, the expansive front porch, 2nd floor balcony and spacious brick paver patio offers great views of the beautiful gardens. Located in the heart of Grosse Pointe Park, enjoy walking to Defer, Pierce, Little League & local restaurants!   This 2,900 sq. ft. home is listed for $499,999. 

For more details please visit: http://ow.ly/Bzvls