Let us introduce you to Detroit architect Marcus Burrowes. Burrowes was a versatile artist, designing residential, public and municipal buildings in and near Detroit. During the 1920’s and 1930’s Burrowes was widely known throughout southeast Michigan for his English Revival Style buildings, a style he also brought to the Grosse Pointe communities as part of the eight buildings (that we know of) he designed here.
Marcus R. Burrowes was born in Tonawanda, N.Y near Buffalo in 1874. He attended the Denver Art Academy, studying with architects of note as well as serving an apprenticeship to a prominent architectural firm in Denver.
In 1892 Burrowes moved to Ottawa, Canada to work in the chief architects office, specializing in post office buildings. During his time there he also created several public buildings in Sarnia. It wasn’t long before, Burrowes ambitions prompted him move across the river to Detroit, which at the time was where some of the best architectural talent in Michigan could be found.
Around 1905 Burrowes got the opportunity to work in the offices of Albert Kahn. In 1907 he joined noted architectural firm Stratton and Baldwin (already prominent designers in Grosse Pointe) where he stayed for two years. During his time with the firm he would meet many leading figures in the Arts and Crafts movement in Detroit, including Kahn, William B Stratton, Frank C. Baldwin and George Booth. Through his relationship with Stratton, Burrowes also made an important connection with Mary Chase Stratton of Pewabic Pottery – his launching pad into the Detroit Architectural Scene was complete.