Higbie Maxon Agney congratulates the Top Producers of 2016!
Jaime Rae Turnbull, Libby Follis, Dennis Andrus, Michelle Agosta, Darlene D’Amico and Heather Adragna Ulku!
Higbie Maxon Agney is pleased to offer our 2015 Grosse Pointe Real Estate Annual Report – Within this report you will find information on average sale prices, sales volume, real estate trends, and much more.
2015 was an extraordinary year for real estate in the community. The last twelve months recorded over $277million in residential sales alone; the largest number of homes sold in the past 5 years – 870; and the year culminated with the highest average price since 2011 – $318,803 – an increase of 48% over the last five years. The past year was also the best year in a decade for million dollar sales– 20 luxury homes sold at $1 million or greater.
Please click on the image to the left to access the full report.
Our goal is to give you an accurate and complete picture of the 2015 Grosse Pointe housing market. All of the graphs were produced internally for Higbie Maxon Agney using MiRealsource and Realcomp II, LTD multiple listing services.
Higbie Maxon Agney is the only brokerage in Grosse Pointe that tracks every single home sale in both multiple listing systems and seeks out and removes inconsistencies in the raw data. We are confident these are the best statistics currently available on the Grosse Pointe housing market, and we hope that you will find the contents of this report readable and useful!
We cannot predict what will happen in 2016 however, we can use this information to help our clients make informed and educated real estate decisions in the coming year.
We look forward to assisting you with any real estate needs you may have in the coming year.
The more things change…the more things stay the same. As the world around us constantly evolves Higbie Maxon Agney understands the importance of continuing with tradition.
We would like to announce Jaime Rae (Agney) Turnbull’s transition to a leadership role within the company. Under Kay Agney’s mentorship Jaime Rae is working closely with her mother on marketing, as well as recruiting new agents. Jaime Rae will also share management duties with Kay, her primary goal being to expand the business to reach more clients throughout southeast Michigan, as well as resort locations.
Jaime Rae is a very successful selling agent in her own right, selling luxury properties throughout Michigan as well as exotic locations worldwide.
Under the leadership of Kay Agney, Jaime Rae Turnbull and the team of associates, Higbie Maxon Agney remains in good hands, driving the company forward, while continuing to maintain the traditional values that remained so dear to Hugo S. Higbie – integrity, heritage and lifestyle.
Given our proximity to Lake St. Clair, we thought it was about time we took to the water and introduced you to a floating mansion, the Delphine.
With the increased popularity of the ‘tiny home’ and the desire to downsize to around 200 sq ft, it is a poignant reminder of how times have changed. Back in 1921 the world’s largest private yacht was being completed at the Great Lakes Engineering Works, and at 267-feet long downsizing was the last thing on the mind of its new owner – Horace Dodge.*
The commission of the Delphine was the last in a long line of yachts owned by Dodge.
Prior to the launch of the Delphine he had owned a number of vessels, with many being requisitioned by the US Navy at some point in their history.
Horace Dodge’s fleet:
The Delphine II
Dodge commissioned his spectacular private yacht in 1920. It was designed by H.J. Gielow of New York, and built at the Great Lake Engineering Works, a shipyard in River Rouge, which Dodge would regularly visit to monitor its progress. Sadly however, Horace Dodge would not live to see the completion of the Delphine, he died on December 10, 1920.
With the yacht still under construction, Dodge’s wife Anna oversaw its completion, which finally concluded on April 2, 1921. The yacht, the largest private yacht in the world was launched to a fanfare of music and saluting whistles. It had cost over $2m to build, which is roughly $26 million today.
With many of the homes reading like a who’s who of talented architects who designed them, and wealthy families who commissioned them, we continue the story with house numbers 1007 and 1008.
1007 Bishop Road
Designed in 1923 by architects Maul and Lentz, the house is located on one of the largest lots on Bishop Road (if not Grosse Pointe Park) and was built for Michael J. Murphy, chairman of the Murphy Chair Company in Detroit.
The English Tudor Manor is set on 1½ acres. At 9,000 sq ft it is one of the largest homes on the block. This impressive home is three stories tall, the first floor includes an expansive living room (21’ x 32’ sq ft), a large dining room (12’ x 29’ sq ft) a huge kitchen (15’ x 22’ sq ft), a library (14’ x 22’ sq ft) and a games room (13’ x 20’ sq ft). Each of these rooms also features a fireplace; there are eight in total in the home. The second floor features 5 family bedrooms, each with its own bathroom and a further 4 smaller bedrooms located in the servants’ wing. There is an additional maids room located on the 3rd floor. The house is particularly unique in that an elevator was installed at the time of the build to assist Eliza, Murphy’s wife who was sick, avoid having to climb the stairs – it is located in the black marble foyer.
The first block of Bishop Road (between Jefferson and Maumee) reads like a who’s who of prominent families and architects from the 1920’s. This block has such prominence this will be a two part series.
Built for high-flying executives looking to relocate their families to Grosse Pointe, the requirement(s) for grand homes close to Lake St. Clair began to attract many noted architects. While some of these architects were Detroit based, others came from further afield and were of national prominence. They may not have designed many homes in Grosse Pointe, but what they did contribute is a rare and treasured find.
Bishop Road was originally created from the division of two early ribbon farms. The even numbered homes were part of the Simon Poupard Farm that also includes Yorkshire Road, while the odd numbered homes were located on land that was part of the Joeseph Socier Farm.
According to the Grosse Pointe historical Society, it is believed the name of the road comes from the location of a summer home (on Bishop) for the Roman Catholic bishop for the Archdiocese of Detroit, Casper Henry Borgess. It is also noted in research by Bruce L. Sanders that during the Second World War, residents on the first couple of blocks on Bishop would use the vacant lot of 1030 Bishop as a “victory garden”.
Prior to the depression Grosse Pointe prospered. Detroit was one of the most affluent cities in North America and with it came some very wealthy families.
Bishop along with several other roads in Grosse Pointe Park – Yorkshire and Kensington – to name but a few, were undergoing a dramatic transformation. The late 1910’s and the 1920’s were bringing affluence, prominent families, noted architects and the construction of many large homes to the area, with several featuring in a magazine of this period ‘Michigan Architect and Engineer’.
As part of the Grosse Pointe News 75 Anniversary celebration, they ran an excellent feature profiling organizations in the Pointes that have been around at least 75 years.
Having just celebrated our 86th anniversary we were part of the feature section. We are very excited about continuing with our strong tradition, adding new agents, growing our customer base, while helping families find the perfect home for their lifestyle.
The full article is below.
With a sublime view of Lake St. Clair, 3 Cameron Place, aka the Frank and Anne Parcells House, is a rarity in Grosse Pointe. Not only does it break the mould of the traditional Colonial and Tudor residences found in the Pointes, it is the only home in the State of Michigan to be designed by famed architect Paul Rudolph.
The sculpture like structure was built in 1970, and before the Parcells commenced with the build the family reportedly attended numerous open houses in the suburbs of western Detroit to conduct research on the architectural styles they liked and disliked.
Many of Rudolph’s houses are spectacular, and this is no exception. Constructed of horizontally oriented redwood boards painted dark brown, the house is shaped of cubes and blocks stacked on top of each other. The sides of the property that face the lake, which is only 30 yards away, are constructed of huge sheets of glass, creating breathtaking ever changing views.
The early 1920’s in Grosse Pointe were boom time. The area was rapidly expanding and the school district was undergoing a dramatic transformation to accommodate the growing population.
Having just completed a new Elementary School in Grosse Pointe Park, attentions turned to a community high school. Grosse Pointes Farms purchased twenty-three acres of swampland from the Grosse Pointe Country Club for around $247,830, which is roughly $3.3m today. However, construction was halted for at least five years due to local residents fighting the size and the proposed location. In 1926, the dispute was settled in the Supreme Court, which allowed the School Board to purchase the property from the City.
George J. Haas finally received the green light to design the new high school in Grosse Pointe Farms, and in doing so creating one of the most iconic structures in the Pointes.
The construction of the Georgian Colonial style building began in 1927. However, it soon became apparent the weight of the 759 piles of concrete, 2,356,000 bricks, 124 tons of Indiana Limestone and the 30,000 square feet of Tennessee marble was causing issues with quicksand – it was feared the structure would start to sink. The construction team was required to separate all the work, and redesign it with the help of floating foundations.