Posts

Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – The Lost Estates – 123 Lakeshore

This week we conclude our exploration of the lost estates of Lakeshore. Over the past few weeks we have reviewed some wonderful homes that have been lost over time, including: 431 Lakeshore, 111 Lakeshore, 415 Lakeshore, The Ford homes by Albert H. Spahr, and 525 Lakeshore.

The final home we would like to review is 123 Lakeshore, known as ‘Drybrook’. Built in 1914 for Truman H. Newberry, this superb home was designed by the noted New York City firm of Trowbridge and Ackerman.

In an edition of Country Life, 1916, 123 Lakeshore was listed No. 8 on Henry Saylor’s ‘Twelve Best Country Houses in America’.

The home was built on the site of the former Newberry home – an expansive lot that was 300 feet wide, and more than a mile in depth – located within a picturesque setting under the branches of many elm trees that had graced the property for years. To mirror the eloquent surroundings the house was designed in the Georgian architectural style, and was truly an elegant home.

It was constructed of brick and limestone. The palatial entrance featured a dominant central motif, along with a grand portico leading into a grand two-storied hall, which was the focal point of the house – inside and out.

Front Entrance – Courtesy of Architecture, 1915, Google Books

First Floor Plan – Courtesy of Architecture, 1915, Google Books

The interior was just as gracious. Many of the downstairs rooms were created in the Georgian style, apart from the music room, which had more of an Italian Renaissance feel to it – in terms of moldings, carvings and painted ornaments. It is believed this created an environment that was more appropriate in which to enjoy music. Source: Architecture, 1915.

Many of the rooms on the first floor were paneled in an assortment of wood – butternut graced the music room, stair hall, two-story hall and dining room. The loggia was Italian walnut; the library was mahogany, and the office featured California red wood. Teak, laid in planks eight inches wide, covered the majority of the floors on the first floor, while the floors on the second floor were enamel.

Entrance Hall – Courtesy of Architecture, 1915, Google Books

Great Hall – Courtesy of Architecture, 1915, Google Books

Read more